[fetchmail]timeouts and stuff

2004-10-14 04:52:09
I use fetchmail/sendmail/procmail/spamassassin. I've continued to tweek my settings and have managed to get rid of a lot of problems causing messages that stay on the server and get retrieved multiple times. However there are still messages that mysteriously cause problems. I have examined these messages and I can see nothing obviously wrong (to me anyway) with them. I assume fetchmail gets some sort of error from either sendmail/procmail/spamassassin that causes it to assume the message has not be successfully delivered.

One possibility I've been thinking lately is that it seems my pop account from my ISP seems to be set to timeout after only a few seconds. How I've determined this is that if I use Pine to retrieve messages the server kicks Pine off after several seconds and I have to start over with the original pop mailbox. Mutt on the otherhand seems to detect the server closing the mailbox, saves the mailbox state and logs in again. I've looked through the fetchmail FAQ and man pages, but I can't seem to find a setting that would limit a connection to, say, 20 seconds. Even better if one could get fetchmail to detect the mailbox closing like Mutt does. Does anyone know how I might set up fetchmail for either of those two cases?

Logically though, I'm not too confident that the timeout casue above is really the problem because it is only specific messages that seem to cause problems, not random ones. When I look through my fetchmail log I see, for example, 351 fetchmail: reading message heitkamp(_at_)mailhost(_dot_)day(_dot_)ameritech(_dot_)net:26 of 36 (4108 octets) fetchmail: flushed 352 fetchmail: reading message heitkamp(_at_)mailhost(_dot_)day(_dot_)ameritech(_dot_)net:27 of 36 (20794 octets) fetchmail: not flushed

Looking through the mail and message system logs gives no answer for the "not flushed" that I can see other than the occasional "Timeout waiting for draining input", which happens far less than the number of messages left on the server. Is there a debug setting that will tell me why the fetchmail refused to "flush" a certain message, or does fetchmail just get some sort of generic SMTP error.

Fred

Error Loading Explorer.exe
You must reinstall Windows.