Re: "Obsoletes" is a much needed Internet mail feature

1994-08-18 23:57:48
Ned Freed writes:

There are of course cases where obsoleting messages is quite useful and
beneficial. I never said there weren't. However, this doesn't mean that
these operations need to be part of the transport infrastructure. This
is what I was objecting to.

We agree! I never proposed that "obsoletes" should influence the transport
mechanism. "obsoletes" should store information in the receiving mailbox
that a message has been obsoleted. If the obsoletion is done by someone
with authority to use it, the receiving UA might show only the new
version, while allowing those recipients who so wish to see also the
previous version.

Jacob Palme                  E-mail: jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se
                             Phone: +46-8-664 77 48 or +46-8-16 16 67
Department of Computer and   Fax: +46-8-664 77 48 between 9 am & 2 pm WET
Systems Sciences (DSV)       Postal address: Skeppargatan 73,
Stockholm University         S-11530 Stockholm, Sweden