Re: UTF-8 over RFC 2047 (Re: Call for Usefor to recharter)

2003-01-14 13:34:28

David Barr <barr(_at_)visi(_dot_)com> writes:

However, client support for (and active use of) UTF-8 is far more
pervasive than any of the other proposed encoding schemes.

For Newsgroups, yes.  (Although this is a matter of there being one or two
implementations compared to none, and I'm not sure how significant that
is.)

I believe this is incorrect for everything other than Newsgroups.  In
other words, I believe that you'll find that support for RFC 2047 encoding
in the Subject and From headers is far more common than support for
untagged UTF-8 in those headers.

Both of the examples given of news readers that support untagged UTF-8
also support RFC 2047 for those fields.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>