Re: What's in a "name"?

2003-01-16 12:28:02

Jean-Marc Desperrier <jean-marc(_dot_)desperrier(_at_)certplus(_dot_)com>
writes:

When the name is not ASCII, the case-independance rules are ultimately
dependant on the locale used.

Case-independance for non-ASCII strings is a bad idea.  It a whole can
of worms there.

What's the IETF policy here ? I haven't seen it discussed yet.

Perhaps because it's really not an issue for USEFOR, as Usenet is
case-sensitive pretty much everywhere.  Newsgroup names in particular have
always been case-sensitive in INN, and I believe in pretty much all other
news software.

If you're wondering about things defined to be case-insensitive (primarily
domain names), see IDNA for how that's dealt with.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>