Re: a header authentication scheme

2004-10-20 17:33:12

On Oct 20 2004, William Leibzon wrote:

I have commented on authentication of received headers before some time
ago on asrg and I think on ietf-smtp (??) or ietf-822, would have to

Thanks, I'll try to look them up. Do you know roughly when?

But basicly the only way to truly authenticate this data is to use
cryptography, anything else is herecy and easily defeated and forged.

You've obviously thought about this, so it should be fairly easy to provide
a concrete example. This would be very valuable for the filtering group.
Can you explain a successful forgery attack on the problem I posted?
To fix ideas, here is perhaps the simplest concrete problem:

A -> M3 -> B. Here A is a spammer which sends mail to B, by talking
directly to the SMTP server M3, whose domain name is
mail.bigbucks.com. B's email address is bee(_at_)bigbucks(_dot_)com, and you can
assume that B reads mail directly from the mail spool.

Your task is to write down for me a simple RFC2822 email message which
contains a forged Processed: header as outlined in my proposal, and
which can be submitted by SMTP to M3, in such a way that when B
receives the mail, it is guaranteed that B thinks the Processed:
header was added by an internal filter on the machine M3.

You may assume that it is known to A that the filters on machine M3
are named SpamAssassin, Bogofilter and GreatGooglyMoogly, and you may
also assume that those filters are stupid enough to allow the message
through to B in this instance.

--
Laird Breyer.