Re: [2822upd] Resent-* MUSTard

2007-05-02 11:35:16

On 5/1/07 at 5:12 PM -0700, ned+ietf-822(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

>  > 2. Which Return-Path (2821 issue resurfaces); 2822 says "No other fields
>>     in the message are changed when resent fields are added", and taken at
>>     face value, that includes Return-Path.
>
>At the point where the redirection is done there isn't a
>return-path, only an envelope. 2822bis does not and should not
>discuss envelope issues - that's for 2821bis.

This is the one thing on which I disagree with Ned.

Actually, I don't think we disagree. Bruce was talking about automatic agents
and I somehow managed to conflate in my subsequent discussion of resending.

I do think that the further away you get from final delivery the less sense it
makes to have automatic resending agents. But I don't think there should be any
hard rules about this.

It is perfectly reasonable to resend post-delivery.

Absolutely. I do it myself all the time.

In that case, you'll have
Resent-* fields prepended to the message which may already have a
Return-Path. It will get a new Return-Path when it is delivered to
the mailbox in the Resent-To, and that will be the MAIL FROM of the
resender.

I think we need to deal with the removal of return-path in a more
general way that's not specific to resending.

Maybe there's an argument for removing a Return-Path before
prepending the Resent-* fields, but that's a different discussion.

Exactly.

                                Ned