Re: [Asrg] Lets Fix Mailing Lists

2003-03-11 12:49:24
Kee Hinckley wrote:

So, we know the number of messages sent to never-existent and non-existent accounts is increasing. This could of course, just be an indication that the number of spammers is increasing. (Note, that's number of spammers, not amount of spam. If you are correct, then old spammers would stop targeting addresses after bounces.)

Some numbers: when we shut down some of our legacy domain names (removed them from DNS), they were getting 50K spams/day, peaking at 140K.

Two years later we resurrected the domains to see what was going on - 500-800K/day continuous.

If spammers were cleaning lists, the number would have been _well_ below 50K/day. Instead, it was way above.

Spammers do not prune their lists. Neither do some mailing lists houses who should know better.