Re: [Asrg] Per domain blacklists

2003-03-17 22:31:45
In <200303171753(_dot_)59571(_at_)grx> David Walker
<antispam(_at_)grax(_dot_)com> writes:

My scheme for improving smtp and reducing abusive spams that contain fake
headers basically amounts to a per domain blacklist implemented in DNS.

Variations of these two solutions have been discussed extensively on
this mailing list.

See:

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg00001.html
RMX records
(Yes, this was the very first message to this mailing list)

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg00048.html
domain specific DNS blacklists (or whitelists)

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg00686.html
pros and cons of RMX (Re: [Asrg] Declaration to the world)

1) DNS currently has certain security flaws that allow people to spoof
   it and therefore let spammers get around these systems.

   IMHO, this is more of a theoretical concern that a practical one.
   Spammers haven't used these security flaws to spoof other DNSBLs,
   and that would be a much bigger payoff for them.

2) Many people, especially those that travel a lot, like to be able to
   "forge" email headers and such so that they can send email from
   anywhere and make it look like it is coming from their home system.

   IMHO, there are better solutions to this kind of problem, such as
   SMTP AUTH or SMTP TLS, but there are a lot of people out there that
   are "forging" email for legitimate reasons.

3) Checking the SMTP HELO and MAIL FROM domain information is only
   mildly useful.  End users generally don't see this envelope
   information, and spammers can simply switch to RFC "MUST" deliver
   domains such as the local host or <>.

4) Checking the mail from: header would break a lot of things like
   mailing lists.

I think that per domain blacklists can be very easily implemented, as
I demonstrated in the third post I mentioned above.  I am not,
however, convince that it would hinder spammers more than it would
hinder legitimate email users.

-wayne