Re: [Asrg] Domain-Authorized SMTP Mail

2003-03-18 12:47:29
Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:18:19 EST, David Green said:

The vt.edu domain certainly only has a few authorized outgoing smtp
relays. I don't think they handle enough mail to justify a server farm
of 200 servers just for their email.

The question is whether AOL.COM has few enough authorized outbound relays
that it fits in a single 512-byte UDP DNS query.  I know they can't fit
all their inbounds into one packet, so I suspect the outbounds don't either.

My tools show some providers with whole class C's virtually stuffed with "official" mail servers. MSN/Hotmail is a good example - probably considerably more than 250 outbound servers in total (once you include all of the MSN/Hotmail mail servers plus all the webmail things that send directly) in various class Cs.