Re: [Asrg] Testing content filters

2003-03-18 16:01:43
On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Kee Hinckley wrote:

At 12:17 PM +0000 3/18/03, Matt Sergeant wrote:
I think this would be a good thing to support in content filters.

It's fine for content-filters.  What do you do about spam filters
that don't look at the content?

Sorry, my last reply was a bit flippant...

What I really should have said is that there are probably 4 stages of
filters in use right now:

1. IP (connection) filters.
2. Envelope and SMTP command stream based filters.
3. Header filters
4. Body filters (or header+body filters)

You can't create a test for 1. without spoofing the IP address, so we
won't go there.

We could create a test for 2. (e.g. a fixed MAIL FROM address that has to
be detected as spam, or a fixed HELO line or something like that).

We could create a test for 3.

We have a test for 4.

So please, feel free to add in suggestions for 2 and 3. I've started the
groundwork - it won't be too hard to finish it off now.

This is a simple proposal, and doesn't get us anywhere closer to our goal,
but it is important for end users to be able to check if something is
working, and if they can make the same test on any bit of software that
makes it easier for everyone.

Matt.