RE: [Asrg] More clueless spam bounces

2003-03-29 15:09:37

The blacklist is on what is obviously my private domain. It
can therefore
be fairly assumed that *I* put it there. An inanimate thing cannot be
"clueless", because a label of cluelessness is a comment
about knowledge.
It is necessarily directed at the person who has done the
action to put
that thing in place. This is logic 101 - in fact in a logic
course it would
usually be given as an example of an ad hominem.

First off, ad hominem is not a necessarily invalid line of
argument, as in 'the claims made by XYZ cannot be believed,
he is a known liar and a very bad man'. Ad Hominem was and
is accepted as a valid argument for accepting purely factual
statements that cannot be assesed in any other way. Read
any historical text and you will see one ad hominem argument
after another.

Secondly, yes inaniate objects can be described as clueless.
Most inanimate objects are clueless. In this case I ascribed
the cluelessness to the email architecture that divides the
client and server operations in a way that neither has
sufficient information to operate correctly.

                Phill