[ietf-dkim] Re: /DKIM-charter-06bl.txt Comments

2005-11-06 22:04:25

----- Original Message -----
From: <stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie>
To: "Hector Santos" <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com>

4) Migration planning and accelerating Adoption.

I think this would be part of the overview.  Possibly a
small change to the first deliverable statement:

* an informational RFC providing an overview of DKIM, how it can fit
  into overall messaging systems, migration considerations, and
  outlining potential DKIM applications and future extensions

I wouldn't object, though I'd have thought it was implicit.

Right.  I should of been more specific with my comment.

Migration was (and still is) a source contention and exploits with SPF and
in my technical assessment, DKIM will experience similar issues. Migration
related issues should be consideration in the threat analysis.

A Few Migration Plan Key Considerations as it relates to threats:

  1) Test Mode: Pubishing records before production software
     are in place.

  2) Deciding on which SSP policies to use.

  3) Well planned expiration dates.

The latter reduces migration-related exploits with DKIM.

Of course this is just WG input, so I guess when the time is right it will
be discussed. I just feel, it should be part of the planned charter.

Thanks Stephen.