Re: [ietf-dkim] Supporting alternate algorithms

2006-02-21 13:46:04

Arvel Hathcock wrote:
 > In that case I would suggest that we make SHA256 a MUST support for
 > signature verifiers and a SHOULD for signature generators.
 >
 > SHA-1 should probably also be a MUST for verifiers and a SHOULD for
 > signers.

For the record, I'm fine with this.

I don't think I understand what it means for a signer to be required to support two different "SHOULD" requirements for the same function.

Hmmm.

Perhaps there is a distinction between saying that the signing implementation
MUST *support* a core set of algorithms, versus that a signer SHOULD *use* one of them?

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking