Re: [ietf-dkim] agenda item on upgrading hash algorithms?

2006-02-23 23:19:23

On Feb 23, 2006, at 7:09 PM, Mark Delany wrote:

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 06:53:29PM -0800, Douglas Otis allegedly wrote:
By the time this size key is needed, hopefully DNSsec is also available.

Or more realistically RFC2671 published 1999 and on standards track.

This becomes required with DNSsec which lacks name compression and adds additional overhead. Until DNSsec blazes that trail, everyone will continue to bump their head on the low branches.

There was not a suggestion to use a new binary record. The proposal was to employ an existing record in a binary fashion.

I presume you mean to *change* an existing one to support the extra Selector goop invent here (and yet to be invented in the coming months).

This could be the TLV structure replacing the 't=value;' approach. There is not much need for creativity. This structure could be placed upon an even boundary by having a byte value defined following the algorithm field such as "group". : )

0         5                   15
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|  tag  |       length        |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
\           value             \
/                             /
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

tag
---
0 = reserved
1 = key data
2 = granularity
3 = services
4 = notes
5 = test
6 - 15 reserved

If this looks okay, a draft and sample code populating and reading this resource record can be provided. It seems like a good investment.

I also presume you have the support of the original authors and consumers of your favoured alternative RR to make such changes and extensions? Barging in on someone's favour RR and wanting to change it without their support would prove to be a very painful, yes?

Use of this RR as suggested does not impact RFC2538 or the pending revision. The DKIM Key and signature header provides the same function as a CERT RR. DKIM also takes the step of using a unique label to access this RR. Only an IANA assignment should be needed based upon consensus of the DKIM wg. In every case, a separate document describes the structure of the data following the CERT header. An overview of DKIM would not be missed. If this wg is interested in pursing this, I'll be happy to follow up with those involved and report back.

-Doug