[ietf-dkim] Re: Core algorithm support/use, draft text v2

2006-02-25 20:08:13
Ned Freed wrote:

the problem is making sure that transitions are possible.
This is why having two mechanisms is a good idea - without
two agility doesn't get tested and likely will not work
when we really need it.

A "good idea" isn't necessarily expressed as MUST.  Violating
a MUST means that things break and cause harm.  MUST is also
not necessarily used to promote a certain way of implementing
a good idea like agility.  Instead of "edit config file and
select SHA-256" agility could be also implemented by "get and
install fresh package from where you got the last package".

I can see a SHOULD here, but no MUST.  Probably it's one of
the usual MUSTard interpretation issues, and we actually mean
the same thing.

If verifiers MUST support SHA-256, then it's fine if signers
support only SHA-256.  Why a "MUST SHA-1" for signers if they
don't want to use it ?  Maybe you want a "SHOULD support two
algorithms, and at this time one of them MUST be SHA-256, the
other MAY be SHA-1".  Or something else you talked about here,
whirlpool or whatever.

BTW, a conforming implementation could be a rather expensive
feature with an accredited SHA test lab and registration fee.

                           Bye, Frank