Re: BUSTED - RE: [ietf-dkim] New Thread: Use of CNAME in place of NS subdomaindelegation

2006-08-29 16:35:59
Hallam-Baker, Phillip:
So what happens if I have outsourced all my Web hosting to
Lieberhost.com by declaring:

*.example.com     CNAME   www69.lieberhost.com
mail.example.com  A       10.0.0.0
example.com       MZ      1 1 mail.example.com

Oops I have just delegated signing authority for my outgoing
emails even though my MX record config clearly shows that I did
not intend to do that.

Just like mail.example.com overrides the wild-card, would not a
subdomain _domainkey.example.com override the wildcard as well?

DNS is quite flexible: you can use a CNAME record to delegate only
a specific signing domain name, and you can use an NS record to
delegate an entire signing domain hierarchy.

        Wietse