Re: [ietf-dkim] The (really) latest SSP draft

2007-10-29 04:12:36
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 16:13:47 +0100, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Discussion about raw DKIM signing sometimes seems to have the underlying view that the From field is validated as being accurate. At the least, this seems to vary among different folk. I wanted to see whether there is a clear view one way or the other.

I think it is clear from replies so far that a DKIM signature certifes no more than "This is the state of the headers at the time I constructed the signature", which is rather weak.

OTOH, there is that mention of "responsibility" which seems to imply something stronger; but since "responsibility" is not defined, it is still rather meaningless.

I suppose there is also an implication in a signature that "I am authorised to issue signatures on behalf of the domain in question", but that is still rather weak.

But again, since the whole point of DKIM is to enable one to detect messages that did not originate from where they purport to have originated (such signatures ought to fail), it would seem that RFC 4871 really is too weak to fulfil that purpose.

I'm not suggesting "fixing" DKIM. I'm seeking clarity among the community. (It's a California thing.)

So I think RFC 4871 ought to be "fixed" (unless we can find some way of fixing it in SSP, for example by enabling the SSP record to assert "we only sign where the From/Sender has been verified").

Tel: +44 161 436 6131     Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.