Re: [ietf-dkim] Nits with section 4 Detailed Description

2007-11-07 19:08:11
Jim Fenton wrote:

Solely?  SSP is the sole determiner of Suspicious (which I should have
capitalized), so I'm not sure what you're getting at. How about: "...the Verifier SHOULD NOT consider the message Suspicious."

Small comment.

I was preferred the approach for outlining WHAT is expected in the protocol design and when there is a deviation from the expectation, then the insights about what is or is not viewed as suspicious should be worked out.

Case in point,  t=y (testing mode).

Do you really believe that verifiers are going to tolerate a "MUST NOT" be view as suspicious for a domain that is perpetually in testing?

What is the expectation behind the testing?

Should it be limited? How long should one continue to process a t=y site? What is is always a failure?

Another is the MX issue.

What if the SMTP system already has a MX concept BEFORE that data stage or the mail is accepted? How are the results to this apply to any DKIM fascimile in the message? Should a pre-emptive MX lookup result be pass to the headers to help verifiers skip the DKIM processing if a NXDOMIN is found?

I don't think enough is place in the SSP/DKIM specs about tolerance for failure where things continuely to go wrong but the specs recommend no action.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com