Re: [ietf-dkim] Next steps for draft-ietf-dkim-ssp

2009-01-06 21:32:53
Suppose that ietf.org asserts an ADSP record but doesn't require
signatures on incoming messages, even from its own domain (there's no
requirement that they do).  Someone spoofs a message from
chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, which is of course unsigned.  The message coming
out of
the list looks like it has an author signature.  I have a problem with that.

Ooh, DKIM vs. list managers again.

I don't think that anyone other than the management of ietf.org gets to
decide what their signing policy is.  There are zillions of ways that
mailing lists decide what gets posted to a list.  If you like their list
management policy, you can trust their signatures.  If you don't, you
don't.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.