[ietf-dkim] responsible identity != author identity (was Re: draft Errata on RFC 4871)

2009-01-28 15:11:22
Michael Adkins wrote:

There isn't. We host mail for numerous domains, but we're planning to
sign all of it as d=assessment.aol.com for the reasons Suresh mentioned
(same use policies, filtering, etc.). Plus, a single user identity in my
system can have multiple email addresses associated with it, so it makes
more sense (in my mind at least) to set
i=user_id(_at_)assessment(_dot_)example(_dot_)com
instead of i=email_alias(_at_)assessment(_dot_)example(_dot_)com(_dot_) For
example, a single
dial-up customer can have up to seven mailboxes at a time but there's
still only one responsible identity for the account. I believe broadband
access providers have similar setups.

Aha!  That's a sending-side use case that's clearly different from the
receive-side use cases I listed yesterday.

That kind of signing would prevent using i= for social networking, because
even if Grandma pays for the account (and thus the user_id roughly
identifies her), drunken Uncle Ernie lives in the basement and sponges off
her AOL subscription, and they'd both have the same i= value.

--
J.D. Falk
Return Path Inc