[ietf-dkim] (OT) Forwarding, was draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-02 12:45:49
On 02/Sep/10 00:15, Steve Atkins wrote:
I develop code that receives email to one address and forwards it
on to another address. It's not intended for use as an MLM, but it
does have a number of optional features in common - modifying the
subject line to add a tag, rewriting from / reply-to, modifying the
body content, adding or removing MIME elements.

I think that software is included in the broad definition of
"resending MLM" given in draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists.

Are senders aware that the messages they send to that address will be
forwarded the way you say?  In case they are not, is that a feature or
would the software let the sender know, e.g. by answering "251  User
not local; will forward to <forward-path>"?

May I also ask how does the admin specify that forward-path?  Has the
final recipient's MTA to be aware of the forwarding, e.g. for
whitelisting?  Have you considered SMTP-AUTH as a whitelisting means?

It will break DKIM signatures (any that sign the subject line, at
the very least) much of the time. I've no intention of removing
those features in order to make it not break DKIM signature as,
well, they're features that were added because users wanted them.

Fine, IMHO.

DKIM signing the mail sent by the MLM is something I support doing.
Checking DKIM signature on the inbound is something I don't do now,
as there's not been much call for it, but it's something I'd like
to add eventually. Recording that inbound authentication data in a
header of the forwarded email is something I see as not terribly
useful, nor particularly desired by the users I've talked to, but
pretty much harmless.

It should quite straightforward for the hosting MTA to add an A-R field.