MASS is supposed to address one of the biggest problems in the Internet
today. As such, I do not want to see progress stop because meeting will
"use up" our second BoF. Sometimes a face-to-face session is needed to
make progress. I am willing to sponsor a BoF if there is a reason to do
so, even if the result is not a final charter proposal. However, the BoF
must be a step toward such a charter.
Maybe the working group needs to be chartered in phases. The first phase
might be figuring out which proposal has clear and strong momentum. I have
no idea what the milestones would be for such a thing. I'm just brainstorming.
At 11:00 PM 12/28/2004, Dave Crocker wrote:
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:12:46 -0500, Russ Housley wrote:
> t is time to decide if MASS is going to have a BoF at IETF 62. As you
> know, one was not held at IETF 61. Is the group ready to nail down a
> charter and milestones?
(following a number of the replies made so far...)
There are topics that can have IETF specification work start from scratch
and be a successful working group. It does not look as if this is one of
Hence, I believe that MASS-related work in the IETF -- and that includes a
second BOF -- must occur only after there is a proposal with clear and
strong momentum. In effect, anything that obscures the functional basics,
or impedes the resolution of competition between alternatives, needs to be
settled before there is IETF work.
I think I see some signs of progress along these lines -- and, no, it is
not reflected on this mailing list -- but my own view is that it has not
yet gone far enough. There is some chance that it will reach it in time
for the IETF meeting, but I'd guess the odds are no better than 50-50.
If you would be at all willing to schedule a bof tentatively, it might
help some contenders focus their efforts a little more.
dcrocker a t ...