Re: DKIM: Authentication-Results

2005-07-15 17:56:59

On July 15, 2005 at 16:49, "Murray S. Kucherawy" wrote:

I don't propose standardizing comment text.  That would be silly, and I
agree that in that case we should just amend the set of formal status
codes.  However, if the comment is present, it may provide useful
information when reported back to the user.

Agreed.  I think any formal status code should be accompanied
by a human readable comment.

Even SMTP defines formal codes to provide classifications of status
along with reasons.

True, but is it comprehensive?  For example, the 5xx codes don't contain
one I would use to report that the message body being rejected was
rejected because it contained a virus.

I think SMTP's code design is limited.  I believe there was an RFC
attempting to expand the design it, but I cannot recall what it is.
I would not recommend following SMTP's code design for DKIM, or any
other application.

--ewh