Re: SSP outbound signing policy

2005-07-28 11:44:14

----- Original Message -----
From: "Earl Hood" <earl(_at_)earlhood(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-mailsig(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 10:58 PM
Subject: Re: SSP outbound signing policy

I think your WEAK idea clears it up:

    o=?  WEAK (signature optional, no third party)
    o=~ NEUTRAL or RELAXED (signature optional, 3rd aparty allowed)

I think this is not enough.  To enable third-party signing, the
ability to list which signing agents are allowed to sign must
be provided.  Otherwise, enabling third-party signing opens you
up to spoof attacks, making third-party signing pointless.

Related to this is that third-party signing would require DKIM to be
modified to state that the i= tag does not need to be a subdomain of
the d= tag since the signing address can be of a different domain
from the signer.  Or, if third-party signing is done, the i= tag
should not be specified.

Before we jump the gun on this, I think we need to clearly define what is
meant by "3rd party" and "3rd party signing."

Take for example with two signatures.  Is this an example of a 3rd party
signing?   What policy controls this?

Using your spoof example: