Re: revised Proposed Charter

2005-07-29 06:45:52

--- Andrew Newton <andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us> wrote:

On Jul 29, 2005, at 1:19 AM, domainkeys-feedbackbase02(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com
wrote:
For a moment I though we were talking about the internet. You know,
that public
network where anyone can send any set of bits on any port to any
participant,
without the encumbrance of seeking approval.

Isn't this sending of bits to any participant of the Internet without
encumbrance the entire reason this effort exists?  :)

Ahh yes, quite so. I guess I should have qualified the participant as
"willing".

Seriously, there appear to be two schools of thought on the meaning
of resource record type: that it merely indicates how the rdata bits
are organized, or that it indicates which application is to use the
rdata.  Which is correct depends on the DNS expert you are asking and
on which day you ask.  The truth is that neither view is incorrect.
Repurposing TXT is not such a problem, repurposing NS probably is.

It's always amused me that the format of the bits is excruciatingly important,
but how often I send them, where I send them (assuming willing recipients,
thank you Andy) and how the whole internet may have to morph and compensate as
a consequence, is entirely a private decision.

Which is what makes this thread amusing. We sometimes constrain ourselves with
self-imposed limits that should be seriously challenged from time to time.

Mark.