Re: Confirming WG consensus: combine reject and refuse into a single action

2005-11-21 17:14:10

On Nov 18, 2005, at 7:49 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

Hi folks,
During the Vancouver IETF people in the room have agreed that Sieve writers don't care about difference between MDNs, DSNs and protocol level refusals. So refuse and reject actions will be combined into a single action, which will generate protocol level refusals, MDNs or DSNs, depending on what is appropriate. If anybody objects to this decision, please speak up now.

Alexey

As long as the "combined" action would have the ability to deal with
the charset issues, I don't object.

That is, I'd like to see not only an ability to specify non-US-ASCII
rejection text, but also a way to choose whether the use of
the non-US-ASCII reject text is mandatory (hence disabling SMTP
level rejection -- user prefers to use their own text rather than
get SMTP level rejection), or optional (used only when an inability
to do an SMTP level rejection for other reasons has already caused
"fall back" to the DSN or MDN approach).  That way, we could
satisfy the users who really, really want their own rejection text
used, and the users who want SMTP level rejection when possible but
when not possible want then to go ahead and use some non-US-ASCII
rejection text.

Regards,

Kristin