Re: my working definition of 2821.mail-from

2004-05-12 00:37:38

At 17:20 2004/05/11 -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
In the case of mailing lists, 2821.mail-from rewriting already
satisifies the above relationship.  Encapsulation as provided by SRS
would satisfy the requirements of forwarding services.

The MAIL FROM: on a message originated by a user of a forwarding service
should normally be like: user(_at_)fwd(_dot_)org but the MTA will be his or her
ISP.
This seems to be one of the more difficult problems related to trying to
match the MAIL FROM: domain with the sending MTA.

For example, I use pobox.com forwarding service for all of my legitimate
e-mail. Thus the original MAIL FROM: on the current message is
<McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>; however, the sending MTA is probably something
like
mail.cox.net which is my ISP. <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> (or an SRS
rewriting
that resolves to it) is the *only* proper bounce address in my opinion
since I am the one that should be notified of a delivery problem and I
desire all of my e-mail to be routed through pobox.com for a number of
reasons.

Pobox.com proposes to deal with this outbound e-mail case by allowing me to
use its SMTP submission service, but my ISP blocks outbound port 25. In
that case pobox.com instructs me to use port 26 with SMTP AUTH.
Unfortunately my current, preferred mail client does not have this
capability so I am evaluating new clients for that purpose. Several of them
have failed to work on my system and others are too annoying for me to use.
I may have found one, but I am still trying it out.

Now I have encouraged several of my family and friends to use pobox.com
forwarding but most of them are not knowledgable enough to go through the
gyrations described above. Why should we think that users in general would
be so capable and/or random ISPs desirous of deploying SRS correctly?
--
Bill McQuillan <Bill(_dot_)McQuillan(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>