Re: Do it yourself CSV

2004-05-12 22:38:23

TF> You make it sound as if checking the consistency of forward and
reverse TF> DNS is something new or mysterious.

I'm going to have to agree with Tony here. I believe that an IP should have a PTR, and that PTR should lead to an A record containing that original IP. That, often referred to as FCrDNS (forward confirmed reverse dns) to me, constitutes "authorized to use the name".

--Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:
Tony,

1.  "Consistency" is not the same as "authorization".

Again I am completely failing to understand how an A record (which maps a name onto an IP) means anything other than "this IP is authorized to use the name".

Can you give an example of where a domain owner would have an A record such as: mail1.example.com IN A 10.1.2.3 and that any reasonable person would conclude that 10.1.2.3 is *not* authorized to use the name?

2.  I was attempting to highlight an issue about the trust assumptions
that people might make but shouldn't.

Was that the assumption I alluded to above, which is that FCrDNS constitutes authorization by a domain to use a name?

3.  If there are standards for asserting and validating these
relationships, please point us to them.

My understanding is that FCrDNS is pretty widely used in the anti-spam community, as well as other applications.

4. Being able to use well-established and valid techniques as the basis
for a standard is always a good thing, indeed.

Would you count PTR records as a standard?  How about A records?  :)