Some stats on TXT usage in domain names

2004-05-21 16:11:44

Hi.

I am very extremely on both time and network connectivity, so I'm going to
have to be brief and cryptic.

Before the IETF meeting, I used a spammer's list of email addresses to
get a list of 1.3 million domain names.  (I would like to thank both
the stupidity of a spammer for leaving his website open, and for IIS
for not recognizing index.html for this information.)

During my search, I found *no* TXT records that were even close to
conflicting with the "v=spf1" magic number.

Considering that 50% of all SPF records are under 35 bytes, and 99.8%
are under 200 bytes, I really don't think that the size of SPF records
is an issue.

Anyway, I thought you guys might be interested in them.

1289260 total domain names
  33016 total TXT records found (some domains have more than one)
   6320 have SPF records -> 19.1% of all domain level TXT records are
        spf records

  26359 domains have txt records
   6315 domains have spf records

   1456 domains found that were also in the adopt roll -> 23.0%

  14192 spf_domains adoption roll

  61554 estimated domains have SPF records.  (This probably misses
        most parked domains, of which I have heard rumors that there
        are a least a couple hundred thousand with SPF records.

On each domain that had TXT records, the total size in bytes of these
records add up as follows:

Domains that already need to fall back to DNS over TCP:
 2262 pokynet.com
  840 baycom.de
  623 andrew.cmu.edu
  569 spencerstuart.com
  504 mail.tpgi.com.au
  487 themovieman1.com
6

Domains that may need to fall back to DNS over TCP if SPF is added
  432 nwm.com.br
  415 quito.digi-net.com
  412 chalmers.se
  409 far.toad.com
  407 bewley.net
5

Domains that have over 300 bytes of TXT records
  378 nationalgeographic.com
  360 proxy-service.LB-A.stanford.edu
  337 internet.co.uk
  336 webdepro.com