Re: TECH-ERROR: DNS Record Types

2004-08-24 08:58:31

At 5:09 PM -0700 8/23/04, Jim Lyon wrote:

I respectfully request that the above requirements be replaced with:

1.Pushblishers SHOULD publish using the new SPF2 record type,
  if they are able to do so.
2. Regardless of whether they published using the SPF2 record
   type, publishers MUST publish a TXT record.

I am concerned that MUST here means that we can never transition.
While I would agree with shifting SPF2 from MUST to SHOULD,
I believe, speaking personally, that strengthening MAY to MUST
goes to far.  Both as SHOULDs makes some sense; at the moment
someone can deploy without SPF2 if they cannot publish
the new record, but in the future someone can deploy without
publishing a TXT record (which they may want to do in order to
use TXT for something else).

Again, speaking personally,
                        regards,
                                Ted Hardie