Re: DEPLOY: Microsoft Royalty Free Sender ID Patent License FAQ

2004-08-26 13:25:26

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 15:49, Rand Wacker wrote:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, wayne wrote:

This is incorrect. Qmail *is* being maintained, just not by DJB.  As I
mentioned in my first post[1] about possible qmail conflicts with the
SenderID license, the qmail community has to use patches to maintain
the program.  This makes life hard, but apparently, enough people like
it that qmail is still one of the most popular MTAs (possibly the second
most popular after sendmail).

So in spite of its burdensome and open source incompatible license, qmail
has *still* managed to see wide deployment.  (Some would say that qmail's
license is /wildly/ more restrictive than Sender ID's).

Qmail is one of several MTAs that one can choose. If there is only one
way to determine a PRA and that way requires a license then that leaves
no freedom to choose. I know of no binary based Distributions that
distribute Qmail. But those distributions have other choices to choose
from. It seems to me that this license would exclude Open Software based
distributions.