Re: AOL's stance on SenderID and IPR issues

2004-08-27 02:24:19

On 27 Aug 2004, at 02:14, william(at)elan.net wrote:

It is my understanding that Yahoo is one of the largest (if not the largest) companies using Qmail and there have been substantial discussions on this list in the last day that license terms may not compatible with that at all.

I don't think Yahoo uses qmail any more - they use a custom MTA that they wrote in-house.

However we do, and are one of the larger installations of qmail (2500 servers). However as a commercial company, like AOL, we don't have a problem with the license. We can develop our own implementation and request a license from Microsoft to do so. The qmail license would only affect us if we wanted to distribute that code to others.

However that doesn't imply we're entirely happy with the sender-id license. If the licensing block adoption then it is an issue, regardless of the legal status.