RE: DEPLOY: Over-running TXT dataspace in FQDN (-protocol I believe)

2004-08-27 11:10:25

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Jeff Macdonald wrote:

How would this differ from their spfv1 record?  Well, since most
outsourced mailings use an ESP-controlled MAIL FROM address (for bounce
handling purposes), the spfv1 record would not necessarily include those
additional ESP references.

I think you meant the Bank's IPs listed (SPF2) in the Bank's primary
domain won't/shouldn't be listed in the ESP's spf records. However,
since the MAIL FROM is in the ESP's domain space, is this not a separate
DNS record anyway?

Well, I meant that since the ESP-delivered messages would use a bank
labelled From: but an ESP labelled MAILFROM, then the *banks* spfv1
records would not need to include the ESP relay IP addresses.  The banks'
spfv2 record *would* however need to include the ESP relay IP addresses.

See my confusion? If MAIL FROM and Header FROM are different in the
domain portion that should mean that different DNS records need to be
looked up. I realize with Sender-ID doubles the amount of data. The SPF
and SPF2 records would indeed be different.

Sorry, this doesn't parse.

However, help me understand how the content of a SPF/SPF2 record could
be different if the MAIL FROM and the PRA have the same domain portion.

If the MAIL FROM and the PRA have the same domain portion then you are
right, the spfv1 and spfv2 records would definitly be the same.  But what
I am telling you is that for a lot of these examples, the domain of the
MAIL FROM is /not/ the same as the domain of the PRA for the same
inidividual message.

-Rand