Re: Reputation services for SenderID

2004-08-27 17:09:43

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 04:43:36PM -0700, Jim Fenton wrote:

I'm hesitant to discuss this on the list right now, during last call,
but briefly:

You seem to be describing the problems associated with arriving at a
reputation for the domain-part of a PRA, given that you have a
reputation database that's keyed by MTA address.  But wouldn't it be
possible to create a reputation database based on the domain-part of
the PRA itself?

The GOSSiP Project (http://sufficiently-advanced.net/ ) could handle
this, I believe.  Right now, it's using as an identity the RHS from
RFC2821 MAIL FROM: and the sender's IP address as reported by the MTA.
However, this same approach could be used for any arbitrary identity
scheme.

All that would be necessary would be agreeing to the structure of an
ID to use for submission of PRA data to a GOSSiP node.  In fact,
the current GOSSiP id approach and a method of tracking PRA reputation
within GOSSiP could be used simultaneously.

We're about a week or two away from a limited test release, and are
aiming for an initial public release sometime in November.

--
Mark C. Langston            GOSSiP Project          Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark(_at_)bitshift(_dot_)org   http://sufficiently-advanced.net