Re: Subject: Re: Legal issues in implementing OpenPGP

1998-05-05 05:01:48
At 12:55 PM 98/05/04 -0700, Jim Gillogly wrote:

SHA1 was designed by NSA and has no intellectual property restrictions.

Hitachi claims to have a patent covering SHA1.

HAVAL's reference implementation is copyrighted; no charge for use, but
 the algorithm author would like to be notified.

My corrected public domain implementation is now available at
<http://www.nw.com.br/users/pbarreto/haval.zip>, but I think it's a good
idea to notify Dr. Zheng of uses of Haval.  On the other hand, there's no
published analysis of this hashing function (yet), so I'd be somewhat
reluctant in using it.

DSA may probably be used freely, but [Schnorr claim??].

This issue seems to have been already settled in court; DSA may be freely
used.

Elliptic Curve [??]
ECDSA [??]

There are endless patents regarding elliptic curves (sigh); take a look at
the P1363 site <http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1363/index.html>

-------

Didn't someone suggest the Square block cipher yet?  A short description
was published in the Oct'97 issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal, and full
information is available at
<http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~rijmen/square/index.html>

Paulo Bareto.