Re: DSA patent (more on RSADSI)

1998-07-29 12:39:00
At 06:49 PM 7/29/98 +0200, Ulf Möller wrote:
This is in line with what I posted before. RSA and Schnorr assert coverage
of "certain implementations of DSA". That is, there are implementations
that they don't claim coverage for.

If that means they don't claim coverage for software implementations
*in the US*, that's still a huge problem for the rest of us.

I fully agree. However, what some people at RSA told me, was that "certain
implementations" means implementations that do things a certain way, such
as some optimizations. Of course, what the told me verbally means nothing
relative to what they might claim in court. However, they have not made any
patent claims in the IETF, and I know of none in any legal arenas.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium