Re: Preparing a new draft.../ PGP versions 5 and later / ciphertext-format query.....

2001-08-22 11:48:03

At 7:53 PM +0200 8/21/01, Werner Koch wrote:
 > BTW: Why was Radix-64 developed; and what are the problems of having
 ciphertext
 output as a hexadecimal file?

Because it produces only an 33% overhead compared to the 100% overhead
of plain hexdigits.

We need to save some bandwidth so that we can use more funny mail
headers :-)

In addition to being more compact than hex digits, it uses a character symbol set that is considered "safe" across all systems. It wouldn't do if the encoding method included characters that aren't representable or whose numeric equivalent is ambiguous.

Bandwidth does matter -- even when the email headers are longer than the message....which is goofy, I know...which is why a message saying only "ok" or "thanks" may be polite, but not necessarily the most efficient thing to do.

best,
--

john noerenberg
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com