Re: Further deprecating PGP2

2003-03-07 13:46:30

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:22:09 -0500, Michael Young said:

My guess is that this is a reaction to IDEA's patent encumberment.

Sure.  Implementing IDEA is trivial but as it is now, it is not
possible to use any software without paying royalities to Ascom.  Also
IDEA is kind of optional in OpenPGP - due to the use of v3 keys it is
practically a must-have.

I had the same thing in mind as Bodo when I asked for removing IDEA:
There are still a lot of v3 keys with valuable signatures (I have
signed countless v3 keys using my v4 key) it might change the WoT when
we entirely ban v3 keys.  Deprecating IDEA might have the effect, that
only key signatures are to be used.

So, lets ask Drew Streib to run a key analysis with skipped v3 keys
and compare it to the full analysis.

Depending on the result, it would be perfectly okay for me to either
drop v3 or only allow v3 for key signatures.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner