Re: Further deprecating PGP2

2003-03-08 23:28:36

Jeroen van Gelderen <jeroen(_at_)vangelderen(_dot_)org> writes:

How can my copy of OpenPGP support an IDEA-encrypted message if I am not
allowed to use IDEA to decrypt it?

How many people are really going to be affected by this?  As I said in my
are individuals/personal-use, which means they have no problems using IDEA.
Commercial users will (presumably) be using a licensed version, in which case
it doesn't matter either.  You need to distinguish between "We can't use IDEA
for commercial/licensing reasons" and "We refuse to consider IDEA for
ideological reasons".  I suspect instances of the former are pretty rare in
practice.  Give me some real-world examples where significant use of PGP was
affected by the current situation with IDEA, and show me how MUST NOT IDEA
would have fixed this.

Peter.