Re: last call?

2004-10-26 13:05:18

I don't think we're ready for -11 to be last call.

As I've said before, what's missing from -11 is removing / deprecating / etc. PGP 2 stuff. I haven't done that. That is in my opinion a requirement for last call.

Beyond that, I know of no remaining open issues (from the last time Derek and I talked) for which there was something actionable. I mean by 'actionable' that while it might be true that X could be improved, there's no offered actual text. I'm loathe to go fix something that's suboptimal because there's a significant risk that my fix will be no better or even worse than the previous thing.

I offer as an example of where I did this in the past is the whitespace and trimming issue in text and clearsigned signatures. I took a good complaint with a reasonably vague description of what should be changed and made a good guess. That good guess wasn't good enough. I don't want to repeat this.

Restating again and tying in what Derek has said, he and I are going to be in the same place in a couple-three weeks. I believe there are no actionable open items. I believe that the remaining ones should be discarded, if for no other reason that they don't seem to be burning issues and finishing a new RFC takes precedence. (Modulo PGP 2 deprecation) I'm willing to be corrected or overruled on either of my beliefs by him or the working group. But in the interests of finishing, I'm going to assert these beliefs in a clear voice.

        Jon