Re: Adding GOST as a cipher?

2005-01-21 05:35:02

Vlad "SATtva" Miller wrote:

Jon Callas wrote:
Recently, I've been asked about adding GOST as a cipher into OpenPGP.
It's needed in Russia and parts of Eastern Europe, where they use it in
banking and government applications.

This won't help much unless you also consider specifying GOST R 34.11-94
(based on GOST 28147-89 block cipher) for hash function and GOST R 34.19-2001
(based on elliptic curves) for digital signature. These are the only permitted
algorithms for banking/government use in Russia. Don't know about other
Eastern Eaurope countries policies, though.

That's the sort of information we need.  Is that
sufficient to create the paramaters and specify
them in the standard?

Another issue is implementations.  Is it appropriate
to get a couple of cooperating code bases in action
before they get added to the standard?

the GOST S-boxes are specified directly in russian GOST (Government
Standard) 28147-89.

--
News and views on what matters in finance+crypto:
       http://financialcryptography.com/