Re: ECC in OpenPGP proposal, second revision

2008-03-11 06:15:13

11.1 I would like to see "MAY implement curve ID 2" explicitly stated
(this *is* mentioned in section 12, but would like to see it here too)

11.3 says "The best remedy to this .. is to add .. AES-256"

not sure about "best" - perhaps "simplest"?  The reason being is
that as AES128 is an ECC must, then this guarantees us *a* Suite
B acceptable cipher, although - as you're trying to get at - having
AES256 means that we'd cover *both* Suite B profiles.

I'm not sure if I agree with the sentiment of "adding .. to .. each
recipient's key" - doesn't quite sound right?  (Maybe because it
sounds like sender coercion, rather than a higher-level admin
led policy?)

12 "It is generally advisable to list at the head of the preference list
   a symmetric algorithm of strength corresponding to the public key."

Again, I see what you're trying to say, but as is noted elsewhere in
the ECC doc, it's merely the intersection - it's up to the implementation
to make its own decision thereafter (and so take advantage of any
ordering information).

I think section 12 also needs to explicitly deprecate AES-192, saying
that it's not necessarily going to be fielded widely (bring in the fact
that it is only a MAY here might help), isn't one of the Suite B ciphers,
and that it's probably only suitable if for some reason you *really*
need a 192-bit cipher: otherwise go for AES256 for security or -128
for performance.

overall, though, I think we're getting there.