Re: SERPENT in OpenPGP?

2010-08-30 18:28:49

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 20:56 +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
Well, it is free software and thus easy to change.  In fact, you only
need to convince the maintainer of one of theses Debian based distros
and it will soon be availabale to a lot of users.
Would be just a waste of time, nobody would include such code, if
upstream already has no intention to merge it...

btw: why does libgcrypt support anything else than the mainstreams
(AES,3DES,DES,CAMELLIA)? At least it seems from
(http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gcrypt/Available-ciphers.html#Available-ciphers)
 that e.g. serpent would be already in?

  That is not that I
suggest to do it ;-).
Well if the majority obviously wants to have everything restricted to
the current majors... then yes =)
Guess this is a similar discussion as with Whirlpool...

That's also why I'm very pleased about the ID on ECC,... having it sooner
than later available makes me sleep much better.

That is something more worth to put your energy it.  I'd really like to
see ECC implemented.
Would also see this to be the most important todo right now,...
nevertheless, the other points I've mentioned before (stricter/clearer
standard or general revision as Ian  +  more certifyable attributes)
would be close to the priority of ECC (IMHO).
But I guess there's also little chances to see any of them ;)

Cheers,
Chris.