Re: [openpgp] Intent to deprecate: Insecure primitives

2015-03-13 23:55:25
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Falcon Darkstar Momot
<falcon(_at_)iridiumlinux(_dot_)org> wrote:
Yes, I can get behind that.  Make it so!  Users should be presented with
secure defaults and not given the opportunity to unknowingly decrease
security.  Deprecating lower-security but equivalently performant
algorithms is especially commendable.

That said, archived encrypted data may require decryption support well
into the future.  OpenPGP-encrypted data is not ephemeral like
TLS-encrypted data.

I agree: But note that it's possible to run, for example, programs
written for the Symbolics Lisp machine (c. 1982) on your Macbook Pro
today: https://github.com/ynniv/opengenera

And older versions of GnuPG are certainly still buildable! (As, I
anticipate, older versions of any extension will be.)

W.r.t. long-term storage of messages, however, I tend to think that
storing them in their wire format is exactly the wrong thing to do. If
you don't discard wire-format messages, you don't get PFS, even using
ephemeral-static ECDH.