Re: [openpgp] "OpenPGP Simple"

2015-03-17 10:11:23
David Shaw <dshaw(_at_)jabberwocky(_dot_)com> writes:

Not in the current code, but you can of course patch it.

Relatedly, is there any option to not use new-format partial lengths?

A partial length is needed to handle content as a stream - say some
program that generates gigabytes of data (like a backup).  Something
large enough that you really don't want to have to buffer the whole
thing before encrypting it.

This is exactly what it was created for, when you cannot know the size
ahead of time.  Sometimes you *can* know the size, even for large
objects (e.g. you could stat() the file to get the filesize), but
obviously that doesn't work in all cases.

Partial lengths are really a nuisance to parse.

No argument there...

I'm sorry.  I blame Colin for trying to be too clever, and me not
working hard enough to talk him out of it.  ;)

David

-derek

       warlord(_at_)MIT(_dot_)EDU                        PGP key available