Re: [openpgp] chairs for chartering process

2015-05-06 13:13:29
Greetings Werner,

Our friendly AD can chime in here, but here's my take.

Working Groups have a tendency to continue to exist past their "use-by" date.
As they do, the quality and velocity of their output tends to decline.  There
are some counterexamples, but, unfortunately, there are a lot of positive
proof-points.  What we've tried to do is have long-lived "research this area
and see if there is something we can do" work move into the IRTF, and leave the
IETF for actually actioning on specific requirements.

However, this is, after all, the community's working group, so if the community
feels that the scope (and therefore, duration) should be more expansive, we can
propose that for a charter, but the larger the charter, the more "convincing"
we need to do, especially if the technology is mature like PGP is.

        Christopher