Re: [openpgp] On Signed-Only Mails

2016-11-29 21:04:23
On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 10:18:37AM +0100, Vincent Breitmoser wrote:
Hi all,

(cross-posting on openpgp and messaging mls)

during my work on bringing OpenPGP to K-9 Mail, I found myself
reevaluating a lot of things. This time it's about signed-only mails.

In short, my conclusion so far is that signed-only mails are very rarely
useful, they are holding OpenPGP back as a solution for encrypted
e-mail, and in the interest of usability we should not roll them out in
email crypto solutions on equal terms with encryption.

In some more detail:
https://k9mail.github.io/2016/11/24/OpenPGP-Considerations-Part-I.html

I received positive as well as negative feedback about this, and I'd
love to hear more thoughts about it.

I work for a company where all mail needs to be signed.  If someone
wants me to install an SSH public key on a server, I need to be certain
that the person is who they say they are.  Furthermore, if one of the
system administrators sends an announcement email to the all-users list,
encrypting it to all possible employees at the company is not practical.
Signing it is still useful, especially if it includes something like a
Wi-Fi configuration file that people might use on their systems.

I use K-9 Mail for personal and work purposes, and I rely immensely on
the ability to send signed-only emails, often to mailing lists.  I think
that's an extremely common and important use case that we shouldn't
forget about.  Integrity is important even in cases where
confidentiality is not.
+1 832 623 2791 | https://www.crustytoothpaste.net/~bmc | My opinion only