Re: [openpgp] Version 5 key and fingerprint proposal

2017-03-09 06:41:27
Also, but I likely missed the relevant WG thread, why truncate the
fingerprint to 200 bits? (Not that this is likely an issue.)

That was a suggestion from the Berlin meeting.

Can you (or someone else) give some more insight on the requirements
that were identified as a basis for this suggestion?

The SHA-3 contest reaffirmed that SHA-2 is doing just fine in terms of
cryptanalysis, so 160 bits truncated SHA-2 would be just fine even if we
consider strong collision resistance a requirement. But we had this
topic before, and from what I remember noone was able to come up with an
attack scenario where a collision would be useful in any way. Still the
idea now is to add another 40 bits on top?

 - V