Re: [openpgp] v5 in the crypto-refresh draft

2021-06-08 02:17:46
Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg(_at_)fifthhorseman(_dot_)net> writes:

Possible Outcomes
-----------------

 a) WG consensus that all of these are appropriate: keep them as-is

 b) WG consensus that some of them are misfeatures, or otherwise
    inappropriate for the crypto-refresh: drop the unwanted parts from
    the specification of v5.

 c) WG consensus that some of them are misfeatures but due to
    pre-standardization deployment that produced existing artifacts, we
    can't claw them back: call the new OpenPGP version "v6" and just
    skip over v5 (like IP!)

Note that for both (b) and (c) it's possible that the new version is
basically just "v4 but with a SHA256 fingerprint instead of SHA1".  I
don't think that's necessarily a bad outcome!

My preferred outcome is b, but c may be more practical.

We (Sequoia) have partially implemented proposed changes from
RFC4880bis, but starting with our first stable release we decided not to
emit any artifacts that use new packet versions.

Justus