Re: [openpgp] Question on Signature Expiration

2022-01-19 06:13:39
Hi Paul,

I know this is a fairly late response, but for the record, there's
some somewhat-related discussion on key expiration and signature
expiration in [0].

FWIW, I think your interpretation is correct; in order to shorten the
expiration time of a user ID, the signature needs to be revoked first,
and a new one created.

Technically speaking, the spec doesn't guarantee that the last
self-signature (and thus key expiration date) for a key is taken,
either (though I do think most implementations behave that way), so
arguably, for shortening key expiration, a revocation should be
created too. From [1]:

```
An implementation that encounters multiple self-signatures on the
same object may resolve the ambiguity in any way it sees fit, but it
is RECOMMENDED that priority be given to the most recent self-
signature.
```

IMO this should be a hard MUST. (...)

... which I agree with, btw.

As I said in [0], I wouldn't be opposed to a "Subject Expiration Time"
subpacket, which applies to whatever is being signed (key or user ID),
which (together with making the above a MUST) would allow you to
change the expiration time of both keys and user IDs without a
revocation, though this is probably out of scope for the current
crypto refresh charter.

Best,
Daniel Huigens

[0]: https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis/-/issues/71#note_814223590